Comprehensive Planning to Preserve What You Have Earned
Established in 1984 by tax attorney and certified public accountant Leo J. Cushing, our firm provides sophisticated estate planning, tax planning and succession planning to individuals, families and businesses in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and beyond.
The Boston estate planning lawyers at Cushing & Dolan, P.C., work closely with clients to understand their goals and concerns, and ensure they have everything in order. For an evaluation of your estate planning needs, arrange a free consultation today.
Massachusetts Tax Attorneys Protecting Your Long-Term Interests
Many of our Boston estate planning attorneys are also certified public accountants (CPA) or have advanced law degrees (LL.M.) in taxation. This expertise enables our clients to take their estate plans to highly sophisticated levels in reducing exposure to state and federal estate, gift, income and capital gains taxes. Tax planning is a key consideration in our comprehensive and long-range approach to your estate planning, which may include:
- Wills — Stipulating who shall inherit your estate upon your demise
- Durable powers of attorney — Appointing a trusted person to manage business and personal affairs
- Health care proxies — Authorizing another to make medical decisions on your behalf in the event you are unable
- Living wills — Declaring your wishes regarding heroic measures and end-of-life decisions
- Revocable and irrevocable trusts — Advanced strategies to protect assets from taxes, probate and litigation, ensure your assets pass according to your wishes, generate income or provide for special needs or charity
- Asset protection — Shielding family wealth from "creditors and predators"
- IRA minimum distributions — Minimizing the tax "hit" when inheriting an IRA (large or small)
- Multi-generational IRA planning — Planning for long-term revenue streams for loved ones
- Elder law — Strategic planning to fund long-term care or preserve Medicaid eligibility
- Family law considerations — Planning for marriage, prenuptial agreements, postnuptial agreements, affidavits, unmarried partners
- Business succession planning — Buy-sell agreements, family limited partnerships, limited liability companies (LLC), S corporations, etc.
Tax Minimization · Probate Avoidance · Gifting Strategies
Our clients include closely held and large business owners, executives, professionals and other high net worth individuals whose estates would be subject to significant estate taxes; however, our sophisticated estate plans can help minimize estate taxes. With a home, retirement portfolio, and other investments, many small businesses and double-income families who are at or near the current estate tax exemption threshold can also benefit from our planning services.
As part of your estate plan, Cushing & Dolan can also help you employ gifting strategies to take advantage of annual and lifetime gifting exclusion amounts, to protect family vacation properties or to transfer other wealth to further reduce tax liability for taxable estates. Our attorneys are familiar with a wide range of trusts and tools to accomplish all of your estate planning goals.
Please e-mail us or call 617-523-1555 to arrange a free consultation at one of our seven convenient locations in the Greater Boston area.