Menu ${}${SEMFirmNameAlt}${}${SEMFirmNameAlt}
Practice Areas
Let's Get Started!

Does your spouse agree with your estate planning goals?

Estate planning can be complicated if you're married because you and your spouse may not agree on how you should split up your assets.

For instance, one woman got married, had a daughter, and then got divorced. She later got married again and had a son. That marriage lasted for 20 years and then she and her second spouse began doing their estate planning.

Her goal was to keep things equal, leaving 50% of her assets to her son and 50% to her daughter. However, her husband did not agree. The daughter was just his stepchild, after all, and he thought that her birth father may still leave money to her. He said that he wanted to give about 66% to his son and the other 34% to his wife's daughter. He felt that would be fair.

A situation like this raises a lot of questions. Do they need to agree in order to complete their estate plan? If they don't agree, does the person who lives longer just get to do whatever they want, revising the estate plan after their spouse dies? Should they put the assets in a trust to make sure they get distributed the way they desire? Is there a compromise they can reach?

Everyone's situation is unique, but answering these questions can help guide you if you find yourself in a similarly complex situation. Make sure you understand all of the legal options you have and the steps that you can take to create an estate plan that you and your spouse can both be comfortable with.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Serving businesses and individuals throughout Massachusetts

Braintree Office
25 Braintree Hill Office Park
Suite 406
Braintree, MA 02184

Toll Free: 888-759-5109
Fax: 617-523-5653
Braintree Law Office Map

Cranston Office
200 Midway Road
Suite 159
Cranston, RI 02920

Toll Free: 888-759-5109
Cranston Law Office Map

Hyannis Office
1330 Phinney’s Lane
Hyannis, MA 02601

Toll Free: 888-759-5109
Hyannis Law Office Map

Norwood Office
520 Providence Highway
Suite 10
Norwood, MA 02062

Toll Free: 888-759-5109
Norwood Law Office Map

Waltham Office
375 Totten Pond Road
Suite 200
Waltham, MA 02451

Toll Free: 888-759-5109
Waltham Law Office Map

Westborough Office
276 Turnpike Road
Suite 228
Westborough, MA 01581

Toll Free: 888-759-5109
Westborough Law Office Map

Woburn Office
444 Washington Street
Suite 203
Woburn, MA 01801

Toll Free: 888-759-5109
Woburn Law Office Map

Longmeadow Office
Williams Place
813 Williams Street
Longmeadow, MA 01106

Toll Free: 888-759-5109
Map & Directions