Menu ${}${SEMFirmNameAlt}${}${SEMFirmNameAlt}
Practice Areas
Let's Get Started!

Unmarried couples need to protect the surviving individual

Legally speaking, unmarried couples are not "together." You can live together for 20 years, but, unless you officially tie the knot, the state does not care.

This can lead to a lot of issues when couples do not draft an estate plan or write out a will. It may mean that the surviving individual does not have any rights and does not get any assets when the other person passes away.

For instance, maybe you bought a home 30 years ago. You paid it off. Your significant other moved in 20 years ago, and you lived together ever since.

You don't have an estate plan, though, so your home goes to your children when you die. Do they have to let your significant other live in it? Or can they just take possession or sell the house? What if they just see it as a financial asset, and they do not care about your partner?

"The state will not protect your significant other," one expert noted. "The children can kick her (or him) out right away."

Without a clear plan in place or his or her name on the deed, your significant other has no right to that house. It does not matter that it has been your home together for decades. Once it belongs to your kids, what they do with it is up to them. If you don't have children, things get even more complicated.

The best thing you can do is to plan in advance. Make sure you know what options you have and what steps you need to take to protect your significant other when they need it most.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Serving businesses and individuals throughout Massachusetts

Braintree Office
25 Braintree Hill Office Park
Suite 406
Braintree, MA 02184

Toll Free: 888-759-5109
Fax: 617-523-5653
Braintree Law Office Map

Cranston Office
200 Midway Road
Suite 159
Cranston, RI 02920

Toll Free: 888-759-5109
Cranston Law Office Map

Hyannis Office
1330 Phinney’s Lane
Hyannis, MA 02601

Toll Free: 888-759-5109
Hyannis Law Office Map

Norwood Office
520 Providence Highway
Suite 10
Norwood, MA 02062

Toll Free: 888-759-5109
Norwood Law Office Map

Waltham Office
375 Totten Pond Road
Suite 200
Waltham, MA 02451

Toll Free: 888-759-5109
Waltham Law Office Map

Westborough Office
276 Turnpike Road
Suite 228
Westborough, MA 01581

Toll Free: 888-759-5109
Westborough Law Office Map

Woburn Office
444 Washington Street
Suite 203
Woburn, MA 01801

Toll Free: 888-759-5109
Woburn Law Office Map

Longmeadow Office
Williams Place
813 Williams Street
Longmeadow, MA 01106

Toll Free: 888-759-5109
Map & Directions